Thursday, November 21, 2013

Thanksgiving Deliciousness

It's that time of year again when we're all planning our Thanksgiving dinners, and I figured I'd share our plans with you.

For the past several years I make this turkey:

It is SO wonderful and juicy! Basically pepper the chicken and throw some onion chunks in the cavity and then coat it with bacon. Roast as normal and remove the bacon before serving.

The bacon keeps the turkey moister than you can believe! Your turkey doesn't taste like bacon (although the drippings are wonderfully bacony).

The one downside is it doesn't get brown and gorgeous, although we carve the turkey before dinner anyways so it doesn't matter to us. Presumably you could broil it for a couple minutes to make the skin golden and crispy.

We also don't do mashed potatoes (it's one of the few things that I can't cook well), so we make these awesome Four Cheese Scalloped Potatoes from Food Network, along with stuffing, gravy, green bean casserole, roasted quash, and homemade rolls.

Of course for dessert we have pumpkin pie and pecan pie (this one is my all-time favorite!). I'm still looking for one more dessert recipe.

What are your family favorites? Any good recipes to share?

4 comments:

  1. I love sweet potato casserole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mashed potatoes are so very easy. My husband cant have dairy products so I boil my potatoes, drain (keep the water) Use a mixer to cream the potatoes. Add a little bit of the water drained from the potatoes as needed. You can add butter, salt and pepper to taste also. You cant go wrong with this recipe. Turns out great every time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, I am going to wrap my turkey in bacon! Thats looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that looks good! I have never tried making a turkey with bacon, but that sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete